Nothing shows how much you love your pet baby other than taking a dog health insurance for them!
Giving them the gift of best medical care is what you can do to return the favor of their unquestionable companionship and unconditional love. If you are a pet parent of a non-native dog breed, the rising veterinarian bills can burn a hole in your pocket.
The cost of owning a dog can multiply due to
- Pet injuries,
- Health problems,
- Therapy expenses for dog behavioral problems
- And adjustment expenses for helping them live in India
Luckily, you have pet insurance to take care of it!
Pet insurance is the latest insurance scheme introduced in India. It helps you to eliminate the risk of high expense for medical treatment of your dog. But, before you calculate the dog health insurance cost, take a look at pet insurance coverage types and benefits.
Types of Pet Health Insurance Coverage
You can pick your dog health insurance plans depending upon the type of coverage you want.
- Lifetime Cover – It protects your pet against any critical/ long-term illness.
- Time-Limited Cover – It offers financial protection to your pet only for a specific period after contracting an illness or injury.
- Money-Limit Cover – It offers you financial benefits to meet the medical expenses of your pet. It does not have any time-limit. So, until you reach the money limit, all medical bills of your pet are covered.
What Does A Dog Health Insurance Cover?
Like our insurance policies, dog health insurance also has some inclusions and exclusions in coverages.
Inclusions – dog health insurance
- Death due to accident
- Illness contracted while the policy is in effect
- Treatment expenses
- An accident during transit (on rail, air, or road)
- Loss/ theft of the pet
- Accidental poisoning
- Third-Party liability
Exclusions – dog health insurance
- Willful or hateful injury to the pet
- Injury or illness occurring due to neglect or inept handling of the pet
- Any loss or injury caused to pet due to – a war, foreign hostility, revolution, rebellion, military upheaval, etc.,
- Death of a pet due to
- Viral Hepatitis,
- Viral Enteritis,
- Other causes as listed in the insurance company policy
- An illness contracted before taking the pet policy
Some of the prominent names in India for pet insurance are
- New India Insurance
- United India Insurance
- Oriental Insurance
Benefits of Having A Dog Health Insurance in India
Customized Health Insurance Plans
You can get the pet insurance plans customized as per your type of pet like dogs, cats, birds, etc.
All pet insurance plans are approved by IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority). Moreover, you can choose from various types of pet insurance schemes available under this plan,
- Cattle insurance
- Dog insurance
- Horse insurance
- Cat insurance
- Poultry insurance
- Camel insurance
- Pig insurance
- Goat insurance
- And more
Sum Assured in Dog Health Insurance
Let’s say you want dog health insurance for your pet. The sum assured for it can range from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 30,000 depending upon the dog breed and other related health and environmental factors.
Some insurance providers offer specific add-ons to your dog health insurance plans like Future Generali. It provides a loss of show entry fee for your dog due to an injury or illness.
Some pet insurance policies offer third-party liability cover. Like instances
- If your dog bites/ attacks a third party
- if your dog causes damage to third party property
Read More: How To Register A Dog In India?
What factors affect your dog health insurance cost in India?
On average premium for dog health insurance plans can range from Rs. 200 to Rs. 10,000 in India. The cost of it depends on
- The type of pet insurance coverage you take
- The basic rate of premium charged by an Indian insurance company
- The age, dog breed, and location you live in India
- The add-ons you take in the policy (Add-on vary from insurance company to company)
Pet insurance helps you manage your finances better to bear the medical expenses of your dog. It also enhances the quality of life of older dogs. So, read the offers and terms of insurance companies carefully before taking any dog health insurance. Always pick the insurance that suits your needs best.