Indian dog breeds are the most adaptive and resilient dog breeds in the world. They can withstand harsh climatic conditions and survive under almost the toughest conditions imaginable.
However, very few people actually know about these Indian dog breeds and seldom have them as their pets. It’s time that we look into these dog breeds that are originated in India and are simply lovable.
Top 5 Dog Breeds In India
1. Rampur Hound
- One of the oldest and rarest dog breeds in India.
- This breed gets its name from the place of its origin, Rampur, which lies in North India between Delhi and Bareilly.
- The Nawab of the Rampur, Ahmed Ali Khan Bahadur brought this breed to life by combining the bloodlines of Tazi of Afghanistan and English Grey Hound of the UK and gave it the name Rampur Hound.
- This breed is known for its unmatched loyalty towards its family.
- Rampur Hound has a 270-degree field of vision, thanks to the unique placement of their eyes. Read more about this breed here…
- One of the bravest Indian dog breeds.
- Kombai was specifically used in hunting boars, bison, and deer.
- The Kombai is a native dog breed of Tamil Nadu, it draws its name after the town in which it was developed.
- They make lovable pets and are also known as excellent guard dogs with immense loyalty.
- This breed’s unique coat-style makes people believe that it is a descendant of a fox. Read more about this breed here…
- The Chippiparai is a sight-hound dog breed found in south India.
- This Indian dog breed was created to hunt boars, deer, and rabbits.
- Later, Chippiparai became a symbol of royalty and dignity.
- They are extremely loyal and usually friendly.
- It is a great one-man dog. Read more about this breed here…
- One of the rarest pedigree Indian dog breeds developed in the country.
- It draws its name from the small town of Rajapalayam in Tamil Nadu.
- The most prized look is the milky-white coat that is almost a standard for the breed.
- They are being used as guard dogs in the borders of Kashmir by the Indian Army.
- They make excellent guard dogs for a family. Read more about this breed here…
- Indian Pariah dog is one of the most primitive and ancient Indian dog breeds.
- A relative of Dingo, this breed has no trace of genetic tweaking or modification from the human side.
- It is sometimes referred to as the pye-dog, the Indian native dog, or INDog.
- They make excellent watchdogs and are usually quite territorial & defensive.
- They make excellent pet dogs and are extremely lovable. Read more about this breed here…