Since the old hunting days, man and dog have always shared a bond. Through centuries and generations, the relationship developed into love and understanding, letting us open doors of our home for these furry friends. But even after knowing things like their temperament, habits, behavior, living conditions, health issues, etc., many interesting facts about dogs elude us.
As an enthusiastic pet parent, it is natural to desire to know all about dogs. There are many fun and amazing facts about dogs that can completely fascinate you.
Here Are Some Fun and Fascinating Dog Facts for You to Know
- A dog’s noseprint is as unique as our fingerprints. It also has a legendary ability to smell. It has 300 million receptors compared to our nose(about 5 million only).
- The Newfoundlands have water-resistant coats and webbed feet, making them the ultimate doggy lifeguards.
- Did you know Titanic had a dog-side of the story? Yes, three dogs – two Pomeranian and a Pekingese that were in first-class got rescued. The owner of a Pomeranian wrapped it in a blanket, and everyone thought it was a baby.
- Bloodhounds can follow tracks even over 300 hours old and stay on a trail for over 130 miles. Researches state its nose consists of approximately 230 million olfactory cells (40 times of humans). Even courts use the bloodhound’s sense of smell as evidence – A Kentucky bloodhound named Nick Carter proved its natural-born detective skills and led to the capture and conviction of more than 600 criminals.
- The world’s tallest dog is named Zeus, a Great Dane from Otsego, Michigan, United States. It holds the Guinness World Record of being 44 inches tall till today.
- If a Greyhound and Cheetah had a long race, can you guess who would win? A Greyhound would win the race as they are excellent long-distance runners and can keep a speed of 35mph for up to 7 miles. A Cheetah is incredibly fast, but it can maintain its speed for around 200 – 300 yards only; after that, a Greyhound would surpass it.
- 45% of the US dogs sleep on the bed of their owners.
- 70% of people sign the name of the dog on their holiday cards.
- As per Washington Post, in 1990, a blind man named Bill Irwin hiked the Appalachian Trail successfully with his guide dog, Orient helping him all the way.
- Dogs curl up in a ball while sleeping as they want to protect their organs. It’s an instinct from predatory attack days!
- If you thought Bensenji was a barkless dog, note this – It does not bark, but it yodels!
- Dalmations are born pure white; the spots appear on their skin only as they grew.
- As per Guinness World Record, Saluki is the oldest dog breed. Carvings found in Southern Iraq of a dog that looked similar to a Saluki dates back to 7000BC.
- As per another Guinness World Record, the African hunting dogs are the most successful (50-70%) in hunting in the world compared to other breeds.
- The Chow Chow and the Shar-Pei are the only two dog breeds with a black tongue, and we don’t know the reasons for it yet.
- All puppies are born deaf, but 30% of Dalmatians (on average) remain deaf in one ear due to the extreme piebald gene in them.
- Dogs have three eyelids and the third eyelid – called the ‘haw’ or nictitating membrane, keeps its eye protected and lubricated.
- The US has over 83.3 million pet dogs highest of all countries.
How many of these amazing facts about dogs did you know?
Recent research also states that dogs can show voluntary, unselfish kindness towards others without any reward. So let us know which dog fact – did you find fun and fascinating and share with us in the comment section below.