The Barbaric Yulin Festival Starts Today | DogExpress
Saturday , January 22 2022
"20% of our website advertising earnings are donated to local NGOs for stray dogs and animal welfare."
Express Update
Home / News & Cause / The Barbaric Yulin Festival Starts Today
yulin_fest

The Barbaric Yulin Festival Starts Today

Despite heavy criticism, protests and signed petitions by animal rights activists and animal lovers from all across the globe, the barbaric Yulin festival starts today!

Yulin festival

It is estimated that around 10,000 dogs will be killed for their meat.

Expecting trouble ahead of this day, the restaurants in China’s Guangxi Zhuang region’s Yulin city have started to hide “dog” character from their menu signboards. Some restaurants have even changed their names completely to avoid trouble from animal activists and dog lovers. Around 60% of the population in China has spoken against the killing of dogs, while remaining 40% believe that this is their tradition and no one has the right to stop them. Some locals, even compared this tradition to the eating of beef in America and other animals in different parts of the world.

Yulin festival

Animal rights activists handed a petition with 11 million signatures to the Beijing authorities in order to protest against the controversial festival. But with Chinese government distancing itself from the issue, all the petitions turned out to be of no use!

Jiang Hong, head of a Xi’an-based animal protection group said, “The government is capable of telling the public that this kind of tradition is improper and should be banned. The market stimulated the production chain. In order to get dogs, many people resorted to stealing and poisoning them, which may be dangerous, since some people were likely to have been poisoned by eating poisoned dogs.”

The event is a source of pride for many locals and it has received tremendous backlash. Residents say that this year they have noted more police on the streets, near well known dog meat restaurants and markets. However, despite all the efforts to stop this barbaric Yulin festival… it continues.

Today Is A Dark Day For Humanity! 

Reference: The Indian Express & Times Of India

 Share your thoughts with us!

Facebook Comments


Featured On

  • Deccan Chronicle
  • Asian Age
  • APN Live
  • Latestly
  • The Spuzz
  • SpotLatest
  • inc

GET DOG
CARE TIPS
By clicking "SEND TIPS" I agree to the Dog Express Privacy Policy. I also agree to recieve emails from Dog Express and I understand that I may opt out of Dog Expression subscriptions at any time.
Delivered to your inbox every week!
THANKYOU FOR SUBSCRIBING TO OUR WEEKLY DOG EXPRESS DOG CARE TIPS!
Please check your email for updates.