Adding a new pet, especially a furry member, to your family offers tremendous joy and satisfaction. According to research, it can deliver happiness and also keep you mentally and physically healthy.
Though the process seems straightforward, there are procedures involved before getting your dog into your home.
There are many questions to ask before adding a dog to your home, no matter from a rescue group, shelter, or a friend. These questions will help you to know better about the dog-its health and habits.
In this post, you’ll come across some of the best questions to ask before adopting a dog. It will help you to decide on the right dogs to be a part of your family.
Best Questions to Ask Before Adopting a Dog:
Look for its physical Characteristics:
You will be curious to know the breed of the dog. It’s not the only breed; you can check about its overall physical characteristics like –
- fluffy or long-haired
- big or small
- age of the dog
Knowing about the breed will help you know about the dog and its characteristics in detail, and the selection process will be made simple.
Is the dog trained?
Check whether the dog is trained or has undergone any obedience training. Similarly, know more about its behavior, whether it’s destructive or any other behaviors like jumping on people, digging pits in the lawn, etc.
Taking your dog to a training class will benefit you to know thoroughly about its behavior and decide whether the dog is fit for your family.
A few other questions that can be asked are –
- Is he vaccinated?
- Is he allergic?
- Also, ensure that the eyes and ears are infection-free
- Its complete health history
- Does he mingle well with other dogs?
Are you ready to bring your puppy home?
Once you have decided to adopt a puppy, you need to have few essentials and do some preparations before bringing the new member home; some of the essentials are:
- Puppy food
- Bed for your dog
- Bowl for water and food.
- Collar and ID
- Nail clippers and brushes
- First-aid supplies
- Potty training pads
- Chew toys
Tips For New Dog Owners
Knowing and considering dog adoption tips will help you choose the right dog and keep them healthy.
- Do proper research: Before bringing your dog home, do adequate research about the breed, characteristics, and health.
- Fix the budget: The budget is essential when planning to bring a pet home. To keep them healthy requires frequent vet visits, timely vaccines, food, toys, etc.
- Choose the right food: The food habits of each dog vary according to its breed. So make sure that you know about its food habits to feed your dog right.
- Prep your home to welcome the dog: Be ready with the essentials (mentioned above) required for a dog.
- Regular training and exercises are a must: If you are a new dog parent, you should find time to spend with your dogs. Exercises and games training is crucial for the physical and mental health of your dog.
Pets bring a lot of happiness to the home. But you need to find the right one that matches your home. Knowing about the dog before adopting will help you find out the best companion for your sweet home.